Agama






Hi my name is Agama, I am an African Redhead lizard and small in size. My size varies from 13 to 30 cm (5.1 to 11.8 in) in total length. I can often be seen in the sun relaxing. In the breeding season, The males in my community develop dramatically colorful markings, the head and neck and tail turning bright orange, and the body dark blue. Outside of the breeding season, the males are plain brown. The females and juveniles are always more cryptically marked. We can be found climbing rocks and walls. My food source is insects, and sometimes other smaller lizards.
My males’ friends are territorial, claiming small to medium-sized patches of land, which we defend against other mature males. The juveniles and females reside within the territories unchallenged. The mature males become agitated when confronting each other, nodding vigorously, arching, skipping sideways, and clashing tails. The loser is always chased out of the territory. During mating season, me and my males’ friends do "push-ups" to attract females, because they know what time is!






Comments

Popular Posts